On June 24, our beloved Director of Development, Connie Colvin, will be moving on to new opportunities in New York City. New Urban Arts is now looking for a new Director of Development.
Director of Development
Start Date: August 15, 2016
Time: 40 hours per week
Salary Range: $48,000 – $52,000, dependent on experience
Benefits: Excellent healthcare and dental plan.
Reports To: Executive Director
Application Due: July 8, 2016
New Urban Arts seeks a candidate with fundraising experience to work closely with our executive director and board of directors to design and implement robust fund development strategies. The ideal candidate is passionate about equity in education, youth development, arts education, and innovative pedagogy.
About New Urban Arts
New Urban Arts is a nationally recognized community-based art studio and gallery for high school students and emerging artists. Since 1997, we have served over 3,000 Providence teens and 175 artists. Each year, our public programs reach over 2,000 visitors and participants. Our mission is to build a vital community that empowers young people as artists and leaders to develop a creative practice they can sustain throughout their lives. Our core program, Youth Mentorship in the Arts, brings Providence public high school students together with local artists, building powerful mentoring relationships through the arts. We also offer summer programs and post-secondary advising.
- Work with board and executive director to develop New Urban Arts’ annual fund development plan, including annual fund appeal, special campaigns, events, earned income, grants, and sponsorships.
Fundraising Campaigns and Events:
- Work to ensure that New Urban Arts meets its fundraising goals from our large base of annual individual donors.
- Cultivation of new donors and growth of our donor base.
- Work with the board of directors and the executive director to coordinate the Annual Fund Campaign, including mailings, personal asks of major donors, and other practices.
- Manage relationships with New Urban Arts’ donors ensuring that donors are promptly and appropriately acknowledged, informed of the impact of their donations, and provided frequent opportunities to experience first-hand the impact of their gifts.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors.
- Coordination and promotion of fundraising events and other events connected to fundraising, such as cultivation events.
- Manage the implementation of the fundraising features of our Salesforce database and supervise the staff member responsible for data entry and gift processing.
- Regularly reporting to the board and executive director on the progress of fundraising efforts.
Foundation Grants, Corporate Relationships, and Sponsorships:
- Work to ensure that New Urban Arts develops and maintains strong relationships with funders locally and nationally.
- Track due dates of proposals and reports for grants.
- Support management of ongoing relationships with institutional funders including, but not limited, progress reports and site visits.
- Work with the communications committee of the board of directors to support our communications strategies.
- Work with staff, board, youth, and other members of the New Urban Arts community to coordinate the design and distribution of marketing materials.
- Supervise the staff member responsible for New Urban Arts’ web presence, including e-news and website.
- Contribute to New Urban Arts’ social media presence.
New Urban Arts is a collaborative work environment, and all staff should expect to support each other’s work and participate in high level conversations about New Urban Arts’ mission, vision, values, and pedagogy, as well as trends in youth development and arts education.
- A commitment to New Urban Arts’ mission and values.
- An interest in working in a shared office space where staff are accessible to the high school students on whose behalf we work.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of five years fundraising experience, including donor development, relationship cultivation, and making personal asks, or comparable experience.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to independently manage complex, multifaceted projects and meet deadlines.
- Supervisory experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Flexibility, inclusiveness, and strong collaborative skills.
- Experience with databases, email marketing platforms, Microsoft Office, and WordPress.
E-mail resume, cover letter (two pages maximum), and writing sample (two pages maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Director of Development. No calls please. Send your resume, cover letter, and writing sample as three separate attachments; do not include them in the body of your email. PDF is the preferred file format.