The Youth Engagement Associate promotes student success through ensuring that New Urban Arts is a welcoming and supportive space for everyone. Reporting to the Youth Programs Manager, the Youth Engagement Specialist builds community among students, mentors and staff. S/he oversees student enrollment and attendance while supporting student leadership opportunities.
Time: 25 hours / week, 36 weeks during the school year
Start Date: September 18, 2017
Oversee and support student recruitment, retention and attendance.
- Work with partner school staff to promote and support student involvement at New Urban Arts.
- Oversee and staff recruitment activities at partner schools.
- Oversee daily attendance and maintain attendance and enrollment records in database (data entry).
In conjunction with the Youth Programs Manager, promote student participation and community building:
- Facilitate community building programs and studio celebrations / traditions to futrhe develop meaningful relationships between high school students.
- Support youth-led activities, and developmentally appropriate student participation.
- Model authentic youth engagement, including using an inquiry, asset-based and supportive approach to meeting students’ needs that promote self-esteem and self-concept of youth.
- Form deep and close relationships with artist mentors and students, and encourage and support productive relationships and connections between those two groups.
- Communicate relevant information about student life and issues as necessary and with discretion.
- Support student and mentor connection with ancillary supports (ALAS, Study Buddies and Studio Advocate.
Support Studio Facilitation and Functionality
- Oversee daily upkeep and functioning of a shared studio, including stocking supplies and bathrooms, making sure students and mentors are cleaning up after themselves and that trash and debris do not pile up.
- Communicate student and mentor needs with program staff, Studio Organizer and Youth Programs Manager
- Support exhibition, presentation and performance of student and mentor work to the general public.
- Help process in-kind donations as needed.
- Strong mentoring, relational and interpersonal skills, including knowledge of positive youth development, inquiry and asset-based approaches to working with youth.
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively and in an open studio environment
- Organized and community-minded thinker and communicator, able to balance interpersonal needs with administrative deadlines.
- Basic knowledge of art media, comfortable working in a busy art studio environment filled with teenagers.
- Previous experience with New Urban Arts strongly encouraged.
- Experience working with high school students preferred.
- Bachelors degree and/or a minimum of three years’ experience working with teenagers, preferable in arts and/or community based settings.
New Urban Arts is accepting application through July 31, 2017.
E-mail resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Youth Engagement Associate. No calls please. Please send your resume and cover letter as two separate attachments; do not include them in the body of your email. PDF is the preferred file format. New Urban Arts is an equal opportunity employer.