New Urban Arts is hiring a Resident Artist Mentor in the Literary Arts. Download the job posting here, or read on:
Resident Artist Mentor in the Literary Arts Job Posting
Dates: October 2019 – June 2020 (36 weeks during the school year, renewable for additional years)
Time: 15 hours per week: three days per week during the after school hours (3-7pm), plus three hours of set up and planning time during the week. In addition, there will be occasional evening and weekend meetings and events.
Compensation: $19.125 / hour
Benefits: Health Insurance; Paid Holidays; Paid Time Off
Reports to: Youth Programs Manager
Application due: September 1, 2019
About New Urban Arts
New Urban Arts is a nationally-recognized community arts studio for high school students and emerging artists in Providence, RI. Our mission is to build a vital community that empowers young people as artists and leaders to develop a creative practice they can sustain throughout their lives.
New Urban Arts is hiring a Resident Artist Mentor (RAM) in the Literary Arts. We are looking for a generalist who can work with students on various skills and in various styles, from performative self-expressions undertaken purely for personal satisfaction to school assignments and college essays. The RAM will embody our core values of connection, voice, inclusion, leadership, and risk by:
- Participating in the life of New Urban Arts’ afterschool studio on a daily basis;
- Creating meaningful relationships with youth;
- Teaching, coaching, and editing students in a wide range of writing styles, including poetry, lyrics, and various forms of prose, such as fiction, creative non-fiction, academic writing, and college essays;
- Support students’ self-expression through writing, including the development of their personal style and voice.
- Help students prepare written and performative pieces for gallery shows.
- Work closely with the A Life After School Coordinator, who runs our post-secondary advising program, to support students in the written aspects of the college process, including college essays.
- Support students on writing assignments and other written homework.
- Create and maintain a safe environment for students to develop their creative practice, encouraging collaboration and creating a learning space clear of bias and judgment.
- Steward New Urban Arts’ study room, including maintaining supplies, keeping the space tidy, and communicating material needs to other staff.
- Model authentic youth engagement, including using an inquiry-based, asset-based, supportive approach to meeting students’ needs.
- Build relationships with students and promote relationship-building between students, mentors, and staff.
- Support volunteer writing mentors.
- Attend bi-weekly program team meetings and monthly mentor meetings.
- Contribute to the New Urban Arts community through participation in exhibitions, events and workshops.
- Excellent writing skills in a variety of styles.
- Excellent editing skills, including the ability to communicate the grammatical, syntactical, semantic, and stylistic reasons for suggestions and feedback.
- Ability to work collaboratively with New Urban Arts’ team to foster an excellent, supportive learning environment.
- Demonstrated success working in diverse environments.
- Experience forming positive, supportive relationships with teenagers.
- Positive, direct verbal and written communication skills, including proficient and regular use of email.
- Flexibility, inclusiveness, and responsiveness.
All applications must include an updated resume, cover letter (two pages maximum), and a portfolio of as many writing samples as you need to convey the breadth of your skills. Please address your cover letter to Youth Programs Manager Ashley Cavallaro.
Email applications to email@example.com, subject: Literary Arts RAM. Please send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio as separate attachments; do not include them in the body of your email. PDF is the preferred file format. You may also drop off your application or mail it to us at:
New Urban Arts
705 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903
New Urban Arts is an equal opportunity employer.