New Urban Arts is hiring a Resident Artist Mentor in Fashion and Sewing to serve in our Afterschool Program. Download the full job description here or read on:
Dates: Oct 2018 – June 2019
(35 weeks during the school year, renewable for additional years)
Time: 15 hours per week: three days per week during the after school hours (3-7pm), plus three hours of set up, maintenance, and planning time during the week. In addition, there will be occasional evening and weekend meetings and events.
Reports to: Director of Programs
Application due: Open Until Filled
About New Urban Arts
New Urban Arts is a nationally-recognized community arts studio for high school students and emerging artists in Providence, RI. Our mission is to build a vital community that empowers young people as artists and leaders to develop a creative practice they can sustain throughout their lives.
New Urban Arts is hiring a Resident Artist Mentor (RAM) in Fashion and Sewing. The Fashion RAM will embody our core values of connection, voice, inclusion, leadership, and risk by participating in the studio life on a daily basis; creating meaningful relationships with youth; teaching sewing, fiber arts, fashion construction, and related practices; maintaining our sewing studio; and supporting the healthy organization of an open studio.
- Attend program team meetings before studio hours.
- Oversee the sewing studio, including maintaining supplies and studio equipment, supporting volunteer sewing and fashion mentors, communicating material needs to NUA staff, and ensuring students are properly trained to use materials and equipment.
- Introducing new media and techniques and supporting students in learning proper technique, care, and use of studio equipment and materials.
- Modeling authentic youth engagement, including using an inquiry-based, asset-based, and supportive approach to meeting students’ needs that promotes self-esteem and self-concept of youth.
- Creating and maintaining a safe environment for students to develop their creative practice, encouraging collaboration, and creating a learning space clear of bias and judgment.
- Helping to maintain a studio space that is free of trash and debris and is ready for students each day to work and create.
- Building relationships with students and promoting relationship building between students, mentors, and staff.
- Contributing to the New Urban Arts community through participation in exhibitions, events and workshops.
- Ability to work collaboratively with New Urban Arts’ team (including the Studio Organizer, Youth Programs Manager, Youth Engagement Associate, and other RAMs) to foster an excellent, supportive learning environment.
- Demonstrated expertise, either through experience or professional training, with sewing and fiber arts techniques, including knowledge of sewing equipment.
- Demonstrated success working in culturally and socioeconomically diverse environments.
- Experience and interest in forming positive and supportive relationships with teenagers.
- Positive and direct verbal and written communication skills, including proficiency and regular use of email communication.
- Flexibility, inclusiveness, responsiveness
- Ability to handle stress without contributing to it.
All applications must include an updated resume, cover letter, and a portfolio of 5-10 work samples. Your cover letter (two pages maximum), should include answers to the following questions:
- How would you, as a Fashion RAM, embody New Urban Arts’ core values?
- As this is a new position, how do you envision what this work will look like on a daily basis?
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com, subject: Fashion RAM. No calls please. Please send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio as separate attachments; do not include them in the body of your email. PDF is the preferred file format. If necessary, you may drop off your application or send it to us at:
New Urban Arts
705 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903