Crafting the Future x New Urban Arts Summer 2022 BIPOC Scholarships
New Urban Arts is excited to announce our second year of partnership with Crafting the Future (CTF). CTF works to diversify the fields of art, craft, and design by connecting BIPOC artists with opportunities that will help them thrive.
For Summer 2022, CTF and NUA are providing 3 FULL scholarships for BIPOC alumni to take a 2-week residential workshop at Haystack Mountain School of Crafts, an internationally- renowned craft school in Deer Isle, Maine. We are excited to invite NUA’s BIPOC alumni to apply!
Scholarships will cover all expenses to attend the program, including tuition, travel, housing & food, and materials. Participants will also have access to support from both NUA and CTF before, during, and after the program.
APPLY HERE by Friday, January 21st at 11:59pm EST
This scholarship provides a residential, intensive arts experience. Participants will select a workshop of their choice and participate in that workshop Monday-Friday during their 2 week program, with breaks for meals and personal work/leisure time. Live on “campus,” meet other artists and students, spend time in nature and in community, and explore your creative practice. You will also not be going alone! Participants will attend their session with 2 other NUA alumni AND a NUA staff member.
The School and Workshops:
Haystack Mountain School of Crafts is located on the Atlantic Ocean in Deer Isle, Maine. Haystack offers workshops in blacksmithing, ceramics, fibers/textiles, glass, graphics (paper, printmaking, painting), metals, wood, and writing. Most workshops are designed for all levels of experience.
Check out Haystack’s course catalogue for descriptions of specific workshops. Once we have determined which session our NUA group will attend, participants are guaranteed their first or second choice of workshop for that session.
Requirements to participate:
- Identify as Black, Indigenous, and/or POC
- 18+ years old at the time of the program. This scholarship is intended for younger alumni (~18-25 years old), but we will consider all applicants.
- Alum of NUA’s youth programs
- Have not previously received this CTF scholarship
- Available to participate in a 2-week program this summer 2022
Timeline of Application and Program:
- Friday, Jan. 21th: Application due
- Friday, Jan. 28th: NUA will notify all applicants if they have been chosen to participate
- Friday, Feb 15th: Accepted participants submit their registration information to Haystack, including their first and second choice for workshops
- Feb-June: Register for workshop, arrange travel with NUA support, prepare for program
- June-August (Exact dates TBD): Participate in 2-week program!
With only 3 scholarships available, we recognize that there might be more applicants than available spots. We welcome applicants of all creative abilities and experience. We will be selecting participants based on their availability to participate and their access to arts programming. If you are not able to participate this year, we plan to provide more opportunities in future years.
If you are selected to participate, there will be travel involved (train, rideshare, etc). You as the participant will be responsible for the risks associated with traveling during COVID-19. New Urban Arts is happy to help provide protective gear if necessary, but we are unable to mitigate all risks associated with traveling and attending your program. Haystack also requires that all workshop attendees are fully vaccinated.
Questions or concerns?
Email Addy, NUA’s A Life After School (ALAS) Coordinator